My Photo
Name:
Location: Northern California, United States

Monday, January 03, 2005

Aaron

Holiness on the head,
Light and perfections on the breast,
Harmonious bells below, raising the dead
To lead them unto life and rest.
Thus are true Aarons dressed.

Profaneness in my head,
Defects and darkness in my breast,
A noise of passions ringing me for dead
Unto a place where is no rest.
Poor priest thus am I dressed.

Christ is my only head,
My alone only heart and breast,
My only music, striking me ev'n dead;
That to the old man I may rest,
And be in Him new dressed.

So holy in my head,
Perfect and light in my dear breast,
My doctorine tuned by Christ (Who is not dead,
But lives in me wihle I do rest),
Come people; Aaron's dressed.

--George Herbert, from "The Temple" published in 1633.

I selected this poem because it speaks to me so wonderfully about the condition we are in... priests in a glorious Kingdom, having to trust completely in Jesus alone to clothe us in His righteousness. In the Old Testament, descriptions are given of the clothing and accoutrements the priests were to wear. On their heads was to be a gold pendant with the words, "Holy to the Lord" written on it. In the pocket of the Ephod, the Urim and Thummim were carried, whose names mean, "Lights and Perfection". The priests had bells sewn into the hems of their garments so they'd jingle as they moved about. If the music stopped, it meant the priest had died in the presence of God Most Holy.
I think Herbert hit the nail on the head with this one! Only with the mind of Christ and the precious Holy Spirit (our perfect light!) within us can we be rightly dressed as priests and ministers of the Lord, to lead His people into life and rest.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home