My Photo
Name:
Location: Northern California, United States

Friday, September 10, 2004

California Mornings

First let me apologize if the picture in the previous post scares your small children or pets... it was supposed to be small, and in the profile. I'll have to wait for my dear, techno-saavy husband to come home before I can do anything about it!

I woke up this morning, as usual, in time to see the eastern sky being lit up by the rising sun. The sunrise can be just so glorious! Lately I've been getting up before dawn - sometimes I go back to bed according to how I feel - and going out on the patio. I learned a secret. You can see stars in the Bay Area after all, if you go out between 3 and 5 a.m.! One star suprised me... it was 5 or 10 times the size of any others, and it was hanging in the eastern sky. I wasn't sure what it was, I thought maybe I was seeing a super nova in a far off galaxy, or perhaps an incoming asteroid? I looked it up on line... turns out, Venus is in its "Morning Star" phase. Every year, lots of folks are so startled by it that they call it in as a possible UFO! *grin*
It was particularly neat to see a bright, shining star in the east (even if it was really a planet). It made me think of the 3 wise men who followed another star to search for a King. It also made me think of 2 Peter 1:19 which says, "So we have the prophetic word made more sure, to which you do well to pay attention as to a lamp shining in a dark place, until the day dawns and the morning star arises in your hearts." Jesus calls Himself the Bright and Morning Star in Rev. 22, and in chapter 2 He promises to give "the morning star" to the one who overcomes.
When I go out before the dawn and watch the stars fade and the morning unfold, when I see the day star rising in a blaze of glory, when I smell the sweet air and feel the joy of new mercies being poured out for a new day... I am drawn to the Star of my morning. I'm eager to read precious Words by His light, to take in the beautiful scent that accompanies His presence, and rejoice as He colors my world with His love. It's exciting to know that we carry this treasure in earthen vessels, and that if I look inside, I can see His dazzling light there.
Bright and Morning Star, rise in my heart and illuminate me from within! Help me to be transparent enough that Your Glory shines out of me. O Great Light of the world, fill up my heart! Be lifted up in me, so that those You bring across my path will be drawn to You!


0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home