My Photo
Name:
Location: Northern California, United States

Tuesday, September 07, 2004

A Daughter of the King

Ever notice how little girls love to dress up? Even though I was more tom-boy than tea-party, I know I reveled in the occasional opportunity to “borrow” my Mothers fancy clothes for a game of pretend. I remember she had a pair of sky-blue bell bottoms with rhinestones embellishing both legs. There was a bright yellow, bejeweled vest that matched. I’d put those on with a garland of daisies picked from my back yard that I’d woven carefully into a crown. It was then that I dreamed of being discovered by the Prince that I just knew would someday come.
In my mind, I surely was a Princess, only somebody forgot to tell my parents (or the teachers at school!). Sooner or later I knew the mistake would be rectified and I’d move in to the castle and live happily ever after, as a wise and beloved Queen. I’d wear beautiful dresses, and display the dazzling jewels my handsome Prince was sure to shower me with. Every one would know that I was special, and well cared for, and much loved.
It seems I’m not the first little girl to come up with this particular fantasy. Versions of it can be found spanning many centuries and many cultures. Sleeping Beauty, anyone? Cinderella? Any one of a dozen fairy tales or Disney movies will quickly bear this out. Inside every woman beats a heart that longs for her Prince to come.
As I grew up, I learned that I really *was* a princess. Oh, not the kind that gets invited to Windsor Castle for afternoon tea with the Queen of England, but the other kind of Princess. The kind I once dreamed about being. It turns out that my Father is actually a great King. The greatest, in fact! He dresses me beautifully. He lavishes me with precious gifts. He’s even giving my hand in marriage to the Prince of Peace.
Everyday when I get up, I have a wonderful wardrobe to choose from. I have garments of salvation, robes of righteousness, and the jewels of a bride. (Is. 61:10) I have a necklace of truth and kindness to adorn my neck. (Proverbs 3:3, 22) On my head rests a special crown of beauty, intertwined with a garland of grace. I look good in a tiara with flowers! They are a sign of the wisdom and understanding I’ve inherited from my Father. (Proverbs 4:7-9) I threw out my old mourning clothes and now I wear a garment of Praise. (Is. 61:3) Since I discovered that I was a real princess and came to live in my Father’s Kingdom, this is what they say about me, “The royal daughter is all glorious within the palace; her clothing is woven with gold. She shall be brought to the King in robes of many colors.” And oh, how good they smell! All my clothes carry the scent of precious spices and perfumes! (Ps. 45:13-14, 8)
The best thing about being my Father’s daughter is the change He’s made on the inside! I have a soft new heart (Eze. 36:26), and a mind that’s like His (1Cor. 2:16). Best of all His Spirit lives in me; I am His offspring!(1John 4:13, 2 Cor 1:22). People are starting to tell me that they can see the family resemblance coming through. I have important work to do; He’s made me His ambassador (2 Cor 5:20) and given me many gifts to share with others (1 Peter 4:10). Our favorite time of day is when we get to spend time together, one on One. He’s been teaching me how to be a Princess, and a wife fit for a Prince. Over and over He reminds me, “Don’t ‘do’; just ‘Be’. You are my daughter, and that is enough!”
Let us rejoice and be glad and give the glory to Him, for the marriage of the Lamb has come and His bride has made herself ready." Rev. 19:7

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home